I found that amazing cake inspiration, on one of the lifestyle/baking blogs and I decided to make own version of it. I filled it up with vanilla ganache and blueberries. It didn't turn up, as pretty as original one, but I am kinda prod of myself anyway.
Blueberry ,vanilla ganache citrus cake.
For sponge and decoration:
- 235 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan.
- 300 grams of all-purpose flour.
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- grated zest of two lemons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 250 grams of blueberries
- Oranges, lemons, limes sliced to arrange on top of the cake
- fresh mint, also to arrange on top of the cake
For Vanilla Ganache :
- 200 grams double cream
- 220 grams good quality white chocolate
- 3 vanilla beans
- 200 grams of butter
- 200 grams of full fat creamy cheese
- 500 grams of icing sugar
How to bake it ?
- Heat oven to 180°C. Butter round cake pan, line the bottom with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the grated zest of the oranges and lemons. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (don't over mix).
- Transfer prepared batter in cake pan. Bake until a toothpick from the center of the cake comes out clean, around 40 minutes. Cool the cake in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
How to make Vanilla Ganche ?
- Split the vanilla beans in half and scrap the seeds with the tip of a knife. Add them to the heavy cream along with beans. Bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Cover and let infuse 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped white chocolate in a bowl of a bain-marie and melt. Remove the vanilla beans from the cream and pour the mixture over the melted chocolate in three addition. Mix until smooth and scrap the mixture in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool in the refrigerator.
How to make frosting?
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy and 500 grams of icing sugar. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add creamy cheese. Beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Time to assembly our cake!!!!
- Cut a sponge cake into 3 pieces.
- Place first part on the serving plate, spread vanilla ganache on the top, and add blueberries. Don't be shy. Take big bunch of fruits and just sprinkle all over the sponge.
- Place second part of our sponge and do exactly the same thing.
- Time for top layer of the cake. Put it gently and start icing the cake. If you don't know how to do it, just have a look on video below. So Yummmy !!!
- Slice citrus, and decorate a cake. Don't forget to add some fresh mint on the top ;)